A few “tools of the trade” for caretakers of marketing events and experiences:
SWOT | Helps to determine the competitive advantage (or disadvantage) that one faces as well as the challenges and possible opportunities to pursue.
STEP | Used to build an assessment and context of the landscape in general, and competitive landscape in particular. This is the realm in which change and Janus Moments occur.
Marketing Mix (the P’s) | When I started business school there were four, then 6, then 7. These are the way to differentiate your product or solution.
- Placement/Physical evidence
- People (sales)
TRDOM | Successful marketing means a lot of things to a lot of people – brand, leads, etc. But I have found that the phrase TRDOM to be both memorable and helpful in ensure effective marketing
- Targeted | Who are you trying to reach and with what message, call to action? What are you trying to do? This should include a targeted Audience and Objective.
- Relevant | How are you being relevant to their needs, wants, desires. Is your Message and Medium appropriate and compelling?
- Differentiating | How are you different from other solutions, alternatives? What makes you stand out.
- Orchestrated | Are all the marketing, sales, and execution touch points aligned?
- Measured | How do you know you are reaching your objective?